Taking a Stand Against Cyberbullying
This
week’s readings were very interesting. Cyberbullying is one of my favorite
lessons to teach and there are so many resources pertaining to the subject on
the internet. According to the article entitled, “Digital Curation:
Cyberbullying, “The Cyberbullying Research Center defines cyberbullying in four
elements. Those elements are willful, repeated, harm, and involving electronic
devices like computers and cell phones” (Smith, 2019) . Most cyberbullying situations is intended to
embarrasses, humiliate, torment, threaten or harass individuals. Cyberbullying can be easily seen and more
accessible on social media sites. Social media sites are so popular now days
and it seems as if children are being introduced to them at a very early age. This week’s video, “Cyberbullying Explained by
Common Craft”, had a great explanation of how cyberbully works and how we can
prevent it. We have had many cases where
students could not get to each other at school, so they turn to social media to
get their points across. The video also mentioned that cyberbullying could lead
to depression if it becomes a pattern and nothing is done about it. This is a
very serious subject especially because there have been a few recent cases in
the news about children committing suicide due to constant bullying. The video
also encourages parents and adults to talk about the issue, bring it the light
and make students aware of the effects that cyberbullying can have on
themselves and others.
At the school where I currently work, we use on day out of the
month as an awareness day on topics that needs to be brought to the
forefront. Recently, our awareness day topic was on bullying. I had a group of ten
female students and our type was cyberbullying. Something surprising that I
noticed while teaching the lesson was that, these students did not know how to
recognize cyberbullying. We went over some scenarios and the students had to
determine whether it was cyberbullying or not and most of the time, the
students agreed that it wasn’t. As the article suggested, we must first make our
youth aware and help them to recognize when someone or themselves is being
bullied. The article also states, “When
a student sees another being bullied, they can take steps to stop or reduce it
if they feel safe doing so” (Smith, 2019) . Some forms of cyberbullying and their meanings are listed below:
Cook, J. (2007, 01 17). Cyberbullying Simple
Guidelines for Parents, Teachers, and Students.
Retrieved from Slide
Player: https://slideplayer.com/slide/4265067/
I believe one of the main reasons why
bullying is hard to prevent is because students aren’t doing enough reporting.
In the session that I had with my girls, I asked them to be honest and tell me
how many times they have reported a bullying situation, most of the girls said
never. Their reasoning was simply because they did not want to be considered a
“snitch”, which is slang talk for telling on someone. Other students that have witnessed
cyberbullying said they make a decision to ignore it. Towards the end of the
session, I gave the girls a spill on the consequences of not reporting a
bullying situation and what can happened if you are the one that is doing the
bullying.
After doing further research on this week’s topic, I ran across another article on the kids health website entitled, “Cyberbully” written by Larissa Hirsch. In the article, it mentioned when a good time for parents to step in cyberbullying situations is. “Most kids use technology differently than we do. They’re playing games online and sending texts on their phones at an early age
Recently, I had the opportunity to create a LibGuide in a previous class. I used the topic, “Teens against Bullying.” The
LibGuide consisted of videos, online databases, and books that students could
use to learn more about bullying. I also encouraged students to look up
information on the topic as well by searching the online databases. This is a
topic that is often not taken as serious as need be, however we must all play
our part in ensuring that cyberbullying is prevented. For more information on cyberbullying, feel free to visit the resources below:
Retrieved from Slide Player: https://slideplayer.com/slide/4265067/
Hirsch, L. (2014, June). Cyberbullying.
Retrieved from Kids Health: https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/cyberbullying
Smith, K. (2019, 03 13). Digital Curation: Cyberbullying.
Retrieved from Live Binders: www.livebinders.com/play/play?id=1968391




Hi Krystal! You shared some great resources in this post. I particularly appreciated the one that defines some of the vocabulary of Cyberbullying. I think that the more specific we can be with our students, the more the message will hit home.
ReplyDeleteI was also surprised to learn that your students had a difficult time recognizing Cyberbullying. I really like your idea of providing scenarios that will help them to identify when this is happening. Role playing could help in delivering this message. Again, I think that being very specific in the vocabulary will help students understand when a situation is bullying, Cyberbullying, or not bullying (sometimes elementary aged students will use the term bullying to describe a disagreement with a friend).